Ownership: UDC - 51%; Tabreed UAE - 44%; Qatar Investors - 5%
Incorporation date: 2003
Sector: District cooling
Now in its 13th year of operation, Qatar Cool has capitalized on UDC’s strategic vision to create a centralized utility company dedicated to providing district cooling to both The Pearl-Qatar and the West Bay District, whilst focusing on the growing industrial, commercial and residential developments in Qatar.
District cooling entails the production and circulation of chilled water to multiple buildings through a network of insulated underground pipes. In 2010, the Company inaugurated the world’s largest district cooling plant ‘The Integrated District Cooling Plant’ (IDCP) at the Pearl-Qatar. IDCP will service more than 80 apartment towers, beachfront villas and townhouses, shopping complexes, offices, schools and hotels throughout the Island, ultimately supplying 130,000 tons of refrigeration to the Island’s 45,000 residents.
Two other plants are fully operational in West Bay, producing 67,000 Tons of Refrigeration (TR) and serving 52 towers. A third plant in the West Bay area with a total capacity of 40,000 TR will be operational in 2016.
Accomplishments in 2015 and plans for 2016:
- Increased the connected capacity of the cooling plant on The Pearl-Qatar from 81,416 Tons of Refrigeration in 2014, serving 68 Energy Transfer Stations, to 87,732 Tons of Refrigeration in 2015, serving 73 Energy Transfer Stations (ETS).
- Increased the connected capacity of the West Bay plants from 76,831Tons of Refrigeration in 2014, serving 51 towers, to 78,231 Tons of Refrigeration in 2015, serving 52 towers.
- Started the construction of Plant three in West Bay for a total mechanical capacity of TR 35,000 and 25,000 TR-HR as thermal energy storage tank. Completion of the first phase is expected in 2016.
- Will target energy optimization for all Qatar Cool plants.
- Growth is expected at all levels of operation in 2016.
Signed Memorandum of Understanding with Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI) and Tarsheed to support the community initiative towards greener energy.
For more information about Qatar District Cooling Company(Qatar Cool), please visit www.qatarcool.com