Ownership: 51% - United Development Company
Incorporation date: 2003
Sector: District cooling
Now in its 11th year of operation, Qatar Cool has capitalized on UDC’s strategic vision to create a centralized utility company dedicated to providing district cooling to both The Pearl -Qatar and Doha’s growing industrial, commercial and residential developments.
District cooling entails the production and circulation of chilled water to multiple buildings through a network of insulated underground pipes. In 2010, the Company inaugurated the world’s largest district cooling plant ‘The Integrated District Cooling Plant’ (IDCP) at the Pearl-Qatar. IDCP will service more than 80 apartment towers, beachfront villas and townhouses, shopping complexes, offices, schools and hotels throughout the Island, ultimately supplying 130,000 tons of refrigeration to the Island’s 45,000 residents.
Two other plants are fully-operational in West Bay, To date our West Bay plants have a combined connected load of just over 76,921 tons of refrigeration (TR) serving 50 of the towers. Additionally, Qatar Cool built a dedicated district cooling plant for AL Gassar resort and St. Regis hotel providing 10,000 TR for the property.
Key Advantages of district cooling
- Higher energy utilization and substantially reduced energy consumption.
- Continuous operations with a back-up system in case of emergency.
- Energy efficient and environmentally sound:
- Conserves energy and improves operating efficiency. Reduces CO2 levels, resulting in cleaner air.
- Reduces the need for huge capital investment for A/C equipment on developed sites, bringing cost down while making buildings safer and more environmentally friendly.
- Easy to operate and maintain.
- Comfort and convenience through significant reduction of vibration and noise.
Accomplishments and Milestones in 2014:
Qatar Cool was recently awarded the 2014 “System of the Year” award by the International District Energy Association (IDEA) at the annual summit that was held in
Washington State Convention Centre in Seattle, USA, in June. . The system of the year award was presented for the Pearl Qatar District; it is based on evaluation of different criteria such as, performance and energy efficiency, reliability and availability, environmental performance and community involvement.
Qatar cool has also won the ‘Industrial Building Conservation Award’, from Tarsheed, Kahramaa, and the International Safety Award by the British Safety Council.
As part of its commitment to the environment, Qatar Cool takes part in many environmental events such as Earth Day. Qatar Cool has also taken important measures in corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities such as, organizing school tours and sustainability awareness sessions to students and sponsoring school projects and events for student aid.
With increased efficiency and optimal operation, Qatar Cool has increased the connected capacity of its West Bay plants from 64,033 tons of refrigeration in 2012, to 76,921tons of refrigeration as of August 2014.
The cooling plant at The Pearl – Qatar has witnessed a larger increase in connected capacity from 64,968 tons of refrigeration in 2012 to 80,922 tons of refrigeration as of August 2014.
Plans for the future:
- A new billing system has been implemented which will facilitate online payment to customers and ensure delivery and collection of bills in a timely fashion.
- Energy optimization will remain a target for all Qatar Cool plants where energy is stored during idle periods for future use in more demanding periods.
- The third plant in West Bay is in in the construction stage, which will handle current and forecasted demand in the upcoming few years, once completed in 2016
- Qatar Cool plans to continue in its search for cutting edge technologies that will capitalize on potential for new business opportunities.
- In light of Qatar’s 2030 vision, Qatar Cool is actively coordinating with different agencies and authorities to find the optimum solutions for future infrastructure
For more information about Qatar District Cooling Company(Qatar Cool), please visit www.qatarcool.com